bed and breakfast

(812) 422-9635

history

There is a sense of comfort to this 1906 Harris & Shopbell-designed house. Its foursquare massing, popular during the early years of this century, features a commodious front porch tucked under the second story, narrow weatherboard, a second story bay (an oriel) and dormers. The guest rooms occupy the outer corners of the second floor, around a large central hall.

The house has a definite Arts' & Crafts and Prairie School influence. The first owner was Augustine G. Torian, part owner of the Torian-Barbour Hat Company.

In 1914, the house was purchased by Joseph Graham, owner with his 2 brothers, of the Graham Truck Co. (founded in 1919 at Stringtown and Maxwell; in 1927, it became the Chrysler plant which assembled Plymouth cars until 1959. (The stamp above depicts the 1932 model presented to Pope Pius XII which is still in the Vatican collection). The Grahams were also producers of the famous Graham-Paige car and owners of the old Madison Square Garden in New York City. Joseph Graham moved to Detroit in 1935; and the property was sold to the John Giltner Iglehearts.

Igleheart was a member of the family that founded Igleheart Bros. Mill (1956) originators of the nationally known and marketed "Swan's Down Cake Flour, " which is still a favorite of cake bakers. (Igleheart Mills has been a division of General Foods since 1926; it was one of the first – probably first local company to be bought by a national concern. The Igleheart division was shut down on January 28, 1993.

But in the end, a house is not a home until someone takes it upon themselves to make it one. We hope that we have done that for our past guests and hope to do so for you as well.